AFRICAN TRAVEL SPECIFIC TRAVEL INSURANCE
With over a decade of experience designing African travel experiences for our clients and as veteran travellers in Africa ourselves, we understand that travelling to and within Africa has its own unique risks. It is for this reason that we can recommend an optional comprehensive travel insurance service for every client who books with us.
We want to ensure that you have peace-of-mind during your holiday, benefiting from the established relationships and resources that our insurance partner – SATIB – has in many African countries, allowing for swift assistance in the case of emergency.
Should you choose, we will manage a professional introduction to SATIB, whose experienced staff will then take over crafting a personalised policy for your specific trip.
There is no such thing as having too much insurance when travelling: it is always better to be over- rather than under-insured.
And while a safari is one of the safest holidays you can have because everyone – from your pilot and guide to chef and housekeeper – takes health and safety incredibly seriously, things don’t always go as planned and accidents and illnesses can and do happen.
We are often asked by our clients what we recommend when it comes to travel and medical insurance. Being veteran travellers in Africa ourselves, we know the conditions on the ground and have partnered with SATIB.
Why we’ve chosen SATIB as a partner
The insurance provider we work with specialises in and has many years of experience in providing travel insurance for African travel, and understands all the risks and nuances that come with this.
In addition, SATIB covers every major safari destination in sub-Saharan Africa. They are well-networked and have resources available in the majority of African countries, allowing them to provide immediate assistance in the case of an emergency.
What SATIB guarantees to travel insurance policy holders like you
- 24/7 access to Africa’s medical and other specialists, including security.
- Immediate remote and qualified assistance.
- Africa’s leading critical incident management team.
- 24/7 helpline and planning advice.
- Medical monitoring and case management.
- Outpatient and inpatient referrals, as well as prescriptions.
- Medication replacement and repatriation.
Specialist travel insurance for Africa’s unique conditions
The exact conditions that make safaris so exciting and relaxing are a challenge to ordinary or overseas insurers, including:
- Remote locations and wilderness areas that are difficult to access
- Uneven medical infrastructure
- Variable transport infrastructure
- Potential language barriers
- Differing capabilities between the public and private sectors
Being based in Africa with an African team allows SATIB to navigate these circumstances quickly and effectively.
The wildlife travel insurance non-negotiables: the minimum you should be covered for
Policies can differ, depending on your budget, risk profile and the journey you are taking. In our experience, the following are the most common incidents for which you need sufficient coverage:
- Cancellations, postponements and interruptions to your trip.
- Missed connections, travel delays and overbooked flights.
- Medical evacuation, emergency transportation and repatriation.
- Luggage delays and missing personal baggage.
Unlike in the European Union for example, there are very few mandatory legal compensations for delayed flights or missed connections in Africa. It’s always best to have peace of mind and know you won’t suffer financial loss if your itinerary doesn’t go exactly to plan.
How it works
When you opt to work with Biggestleaf Travel to plan your safari, we can facilitate a professional introduction to the SATIB team, who will tailor-make a comprehensive travel insurance policy especially for your unique journey.
It helps enormously in case of emergency that we know your itinerary and can be in touch with lodges and camps on the ground should you need assistance. We can help SATIB with questions they may have, that you may not be able to answer and provide constant communication support all the way. When your travel agent and insurer are connected, plans can be put into place quicker, resolving the problem faster.
SATIB can also cover other parts of your journey as long as the majority of your travel is within Africa.
What is CFAR?
Since the pandemic, the need for cancel-for-any-reason insurance has skyrocketed as even the best-laid plans could change. CFAR insurance is pricy but worth it if you have unpredictable medical issues, if an emergency suddenly occurs at home just before you depart or if there is a crisis at your accommodation (elephants have ripped up all the plumbing while searching for water or lightning has struck a thatched roof – rare but it does happen!).
A trip to Africa will be one of the most memorable holidays of your life. The right amount of insurance will help keep those memories positive!
SATIB’s travel insurance policies can include the following for you:
- 24/7 assistance services
- Missed transport connection
- Trip cancellation, postponement, interruption and extension
- Enhanced travel arrangement protection
- Cancellation for any reason (up to 75% of your costs)
- Travel delay
- Overbooked flights
- Luggage delay
- Personal luggage
- Money and travel documents
- Portable electronic equipment
- Single item limit
- Business property
- Rental vehicle excess
- Personal liability
- Legal expenses
- Substitute colleague / resumption of assignment
- Emergency medical transportation or evacuation and repatriation
- Pre-existing conditions
- Compassionate visit – accommodation and transport expenses
- Out-of-pocket expenses benefit
- Return of mortal remains
- Natural disaster evacuation
- Accidental death
- Permanent total disability
- Permanent disability
- Security protection and political evacuation response consultation fees
- Political evacuation reimbursement of actual costs incurred